Rules & Policies
Rules & Regulations
2018 MAC Rules
The MAC General Information
When: Saturday, January 13 – Monday, January 15, 2018
- All persons attending this competition as spectators, competitors, officials or guests shall be bound by USA Dance and USA Dance rules and by their participation become obliged to adhere to them. The organizers of this event shall have no responsibility for loss or theft of personal articles. USA Dance or the event facilities cannot be held liable for any injury sustained while in attendance at this event. Persons attending do so at their own risk. All Athletes may be subject to drug testing by the WDSF or USA Dance.
- COMPETITION OPEN ONLY TO USA Dance, WDSF Members and athletes who are members of their countries Amateur DanceSport organization. You MUST include your current, valid USA Dance number on the entry form. If you are not a member of USA Dance or need to renew your membership please do so at least 2 weeks prior to the event. If you are a member of the WDSF or another countries amateur organization please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your membership number.
- Competitors may enter the level they are qualified to dance or higher levels but never below their proficiency level. The MAC is a Recognized Competition, and as such, participating Athletes are eligible to earn proficiency points in accordance with section 4.6.1 of the USA Dance Rulebook. USA Dance Rulebook, section 4.6.3, regarding Age Classifications shall apply. This rule does NOT apply to Masters of Syllabus or Syllabus Same-Sex events. For MoS events a couple must dance in a Gold level or above in the same style as the MoS event. For example: a couple can not dance in just Pre-Bronze thru Silver or in any combination there of, in the MoS style, however, a couple may dance in Silver & Gold or Gold &/or above and dance in the MoS in that style. Same-Sex events, are open to ALL syllabus levels. Couples dancing in MoS and Syllabus Same-Sex must dance approved syllabus figures. There will be only ONE age category for Masters of Syllabus and Same-Sex events.
- All categories and events are subject to registration and time availability and the organizers reserve the right to combine or cancel them where necessary.
- College Students shall be defined as full-time Community College, 4-yr College or University students between the ages of 18 & 35. All College students paying the college student price must show a valid college ID at the time of picking up their competitive package.
- No smoking will be allowed anywhere on the premises of the competition.
- All competitors are required to adhere to the dress code set forth in USA Dance Rulebook. Violations of the dress code may lead to a mark down of placement, expulsion or disqualification.
- A USA Dance official will be at the event to address all questions or issues that may arise with regard to dress code violations.
- ALL SYLLABUS EVENTS WILL BE STRICTLY INVIGILATED. Only approved syllabus (ISTD & WDSF) figures will be permitted in syllabus events for International and American styles. The Invigilator shall be responsible for all decisions, determinations, rulings and judgments concerning syllabus infractions. The Invigilator's decision shall be final.
- The Chair of Judges shall be responsible for decisions made with reference to problems in marking, ties or adjudication decisions. The Chairperson's decision shall be final.
- REFUND POLICY: Competitors will not be allowed a refund of their registration fees unless a refund request is received in writing by no later than January 6, 2018. Requests received after that date will be considered solely at the discretion of the organizers. If these criteria are met refunds will be honored less a 10% processing fee. There will be no refund on any spectator tickets.
- Student/Teacher Policy: You cannot be the judged partner in a student/teacher couple, and also entered together as a regularly judged partnership.
- Flagrant disregard of any rules and regulations will result in a mark down of placement or disqualification, where necessary or appropriate per the rules 4.10.
- The organizers reserve the right to eject anyone from the premises for unruly and unsportsmanlike conduct and for violating any of the above rules and regulations. This includes anyone caught stealing pictures by taking a photograph of the professional photographer's work without paying for said work in advance.
- PLEASE KNOW THAT TAKING A PICTURE OF ANY OF THE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER'S WORK WITHOUT FIRST PAYING FOR IT, IS CONSIDERED STEALING. IF YOU ARE FOUND TO BE STEALING THEIR PICTURES YOU WILL BE ESCORTED FROM THE PREMISES AND YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND OF YOUR SPECTATOR TICKET FEE. ALSO PLEASE REMEMBER, THAT USA DANCE RULES REQUIRE GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP NOT ONLY FROM THE COMPETITOR BUT ALSO FROM THE ALL SPECTATORS, FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS.
NOTE TO YOUTH COMPETITORS: Open (Pre-Championship and Championship) Standard, Latin, Smooth & Rhythm Youth events will be held on Saturday and Sunday nights (January 13th & 14th) NOT on Monday with Junior MAC. Also, please note that the first rounds of all Open events may be held during the day-time session. Please be prepared to dance during the day.
USA DANCE FEES: Membership in USA Dance is a requirement for participation in the MAC. If you are not a member or need your membership renewed you may do so easily at www.usadance.org.
USA Dance applications filed at the Competition venue may not be processed in time to determine your qualification status for Nationals. Do Not delay, sign-up or renewal at least 2 weeks prior to the MAC.
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 31, 2017. All submissions must be received and paid for by that date to be deemed timely. If your registration is not paid for by December 31, 2017, we reserve the right to cancel your registration.
NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED after the December 31, 2017 deadline unless space permits. Late entries will be considered at the Organizer's discretion and any late entries accepted will be assessed an additional late fee of $20 PER PERSON on top of our regular registration fee.
REFUND POLICY FOR ENTRY FEES: Competitors may request a refund of their entry fees in writing at least one week prior to the competition (January 6, 2018) by sending an email to email@example.com or a letter to the above address. Refunds will be honored if received by the deadline and then less a 10% processing fee. There will be no refund on any spectator tickets.
NOTE: Spectator tickets may be purchased separately after the December 31, 2017 deadline please buy tickets online at o2cm.org. The deadline for purchasing tickets on-line at the on-line price is Jan. 6, 2018.
MANHATTAN AMATEUR CLASSIC IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- SIX EVENT LIMIT FOR ADULT ENTRIES: Because of the large number of entries that the MAC receives, the number of events that ADULT competitors may enter for the $115.00 entry fee is limited to a maximum of SIX (6) EVENTS. If a person wishes to enter more than 6 events, a $10.00 per person/event fee will be charged.
- An event is considered a set of dances grouped by style (Standard, Latin, Smooth and Rhythm), level (e.g.., Pre-Bronze, Bronze, Silver) and age category (Adult, Senior I, Senior II) on the enclosed entry form. For example, all three dances of Standard Silver, Adult age category, constitute ONE event. The four dances of Pre-Championship Latin, Adult age category, constitute ONE event. The two dances of Pre-Bronze American Smooth, Adult age category, constitute ONE event.
- The maximum applies to individuals, not couples, and those dancing with more than one partner must still adhere to the six event maximum. The maximum applies also to Masters of Syllabus.
- EIGHT EVENT LIMIT FOR PRE-TEEN, JUNIOR & YOUTH ENTRIES: Because of the large number of entries that the MAC receives, the number of events that competitors may enter for the $80.00 entry fee is limited to a maximum of EIGHT (8) EVENTS. If a person wishes to enter more than 8 events, a $10.00 per person/event fee will be charged. If the competitors qualify and wish to dance Adult level events then the six-event limit would apply to those entries only.
- In following this policy, competitors must also adhere to all USA Dance rules concerning age and proficiency classifications and eligibility. In other words, competitors may dance in Bronze and Silver, Adult age category, but not Bronze, Silver and Gold. (College competitors, please see SPECIAL NOTE 2 at right.)
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE NO SEPARATE AGE CATEGORIES FOR MASTERS OF SYLLABUS or SAME-SEX EVENTS. Competitors in Masters of Syllabus & Syllabus Same-Sex events, must adhere to syllabus figures, and as with all syllabus events, they will be strictly invigilated. Masters of Syllabus is open to competitors who compete at J2 or older in all proficiency levels. All 5 dances in Standard, Latin & Rhythm will be danced. Smooth will consist of all 4 dances.
- Competitor Ticket Policy All competitor tickets will be issued at check-in. Lost tickets will be charged at the full spectator rate for the respective session
- Team Match is excluded from the Six-Dance Limit. For more information on the Team Match, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPECIAL NOTE 1:
FOR COMPETITORS ENTERING MORE THAN ONE AGE CATEGORY: If you wish to enter a level in more than one age category, for example, if you want to enter Silver Standard in both Senior I and Senior II, enter both S1 and S2 Silver Standard. Take note that by doing so, you will have taken two of your allotted six events and that your events may end up back-to-back and you may need to attend on two different days.
SPECIAL NOTE 2
FOR COLLEGE COMPETITORS: Take note that proficiency points earned in Youth College Network (YCN) events do not apply to USA Dance competitions. If you have never danced in a USA Dance competition or if you have never gained sufficient proficiency points from dancing in a USA Dance competition, you may enter MAC at any level, consistent with the six event maximum, applicable provisions of the USA Dance Rulebook and the rules and regulations appearing on the other side of this page. Please note, though, that Pre-Bronze is a newcomer category and open only to dancers (i) who began dancing no earlier than August 2017 and (ii) who have not placed first (after dancing more than a final round) at more than two previous competitions. This designation is on the honor system, please don't abuse it. For all others, we encourage you to dance at your appropriate level. This means that if you are a Silver or Gold level dancer at YCN competitions and you have consistently placed in the top three, you should not dance Bronze at MAC. We count on you to do the right thing at the MAC.
If you have any questions, please contact us via email @ email@example.com or call us on our info line: 347-878-6228
SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL COMPETITORS AND COACHES:
ALL COSTUME & SYLLABUS RULES WILL BE ENFORCED.
You are expected to know them and to comply with them. Please consult the USA Dance Rulebook for guidance. The costume rules and the rule book are available at www.usadance.org.